Tuesday, February 17, 2015

会 (huì), 能 (néng), and 可以 (kěyǐ) -- Part. 2

We did a comparison of  会 (huì)能 (néng), and 可以 (kěyǐ)  in the previous blog to know the similarities and nuances among their usages. The chart above is a brief summary about their functions and you can see they overlaps somehow. Here are more examples, and we can see their differences and how they work in various contexts.
  1. 他很学习。He can really study. (The subject study hard. He might invest a lot of efforts and spend a great amount in his study.)
  2. 他很学习。He knows how to study. (The subject has the knowledge of learning or he might learn strategically.)
  3. 说英文,可是我不说,因为我在上中文课,I know how to speak English, but I can not speak it because I am having a Chinese class now.  (The subject has the ability to speak English but it is not allowed to speak it because he/she is having a Chinese class.) 
  4. 吃辣的,可是今天他不可以吃,因为他最近得了胃炎。(He has the ability to eat spicy food but he is not allowed to eat it because he had gastritis recently. He might have certain the dietary restriction from the doctor.)
  5. 我现在可以踢足球了,因为我做完作业了。I can play football now, because my homework is done. (It is possible for me to play football now, because I finished my homework already.)
  6. 我现在踢足球了,因为我上了一个足球培训课程。I know how to play football now, because I took a football training course. (Playing football is a learned skill in this case, because the speaker got trained.)
  7. 我现在踢足球了,因为我的脚伤已经好了。I am able to play football now, because my foot is better now. (This is to show there is a possibility of playing football, since the subject's foot got recovered.)
  8. 我现在可以踢足球了,我爸爸同意了。I can play football now, because my dad agreed. (The dad gave permission.)

Please translate the sentences:
1) This little kid really can sleep. (He/she sleeps a lot, maybe for many hours each day.)
2) She really knows how to eat. (She is a true connoisseur and she has great knowledge about food and its culture.)
3) She really can eat. (Perhaps, she eats a lot every time).
4) A: Do you know how to use computer?
     B: Yes, I know how, but I can not use this computer, because it is broken. Could I use that computer?
     A: Yes, you can.
5) Student: Could we meet at 3.00 pm today?
    Teacher: I am sorry. I can not meet at 3.00 pm because I have a class. We can meet after 6.00. Is that okay?
     Student: Yes! I will go to your office to see you. Is that okay?
     Teacher: Yes! See you.

Please complete the dialogue by using 会 (huì), 能 (néng), or 可以 (kěyǐ). 
小王: 我_______和 他们 一起 踢 足球 吗?
Can I play soccer with them? (Am I allowed?)
医生: 你 的 腿 还 没 好,现在 你 不 _______ 踢。
Your foot still isn't better. You can't go right now. (His rule prohibits it)
小王: 它 _______ 好 吗?
Will it get better? (会 indicates the future)
医生: 嗯,你 放 心 吧,很 快 就 _______好 的。
Yes, don't worry, it will get better soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment