Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Meanings and Usages of 就 jiù

When 就 jiù is used as an adverb, it has many meanings and functions. We are going to learn the most important five in this blog.
  1. 我现在去。Wǒ xiànzài jiù qù. I'll be going right away now.(就: at once; right away)
    • 一会儿就得。 Yīhuìr jiù děi. It'll be ready in a minute.
  2. 今天我七点钟来了。Jīntiān wǒ qī diǎn zhōng jiù lái le. I was here as early as 7 o'clock today.
    (就:as early as;already) 
    • 我星期一给你钱。Wǒ Xīngqīyī jiù gěi nǐ qián. I'll pay you right on Monday.
  3. 他每天下了课回家。Tā měitiān xià le kè jiù huíjiā.He comes home every day right after class.(就:as soon as; right after )
    • 我吃了饭出去了。Wǒ chī le fàn jiù chūqu le.As soon as I finished eating, I went out.
    • 见他生气。Wǒ yī jiàn tā jiù shēngqì.As soon as I see him, I get angry.
  4. 要是你来, 我高兴了。Yào shì nǐ lái, wǒ jiù gāoxìng le. If you come, (then) I'll be very happy.(就:in that case; then)
    • 如果不好好复习,你不能通过明天的考试。Rúguǒ bù hǎohǎo fùxí, nǐ jiù bùnéng tōngguò míngtiān de kǎoshì. If you don't review well, you can not be able to pass tomorrow's test.
  5. 去过一次上海。Wǒ jiù qù guò yī cì Shànghǎi. I've been to Shanghai only once.(就: only; merely; just)

    • 要几张纸。Wǒ jiùyào jǐ zhāng zhǐ. I just want a few sheets of paper.(就: just; merely)
    • 是我要找的那个人。Nǐ jiù shì wǒ yào zhǎo de nàge rén. You are precisely the person I'm looking for.(就: just; exactly; precisely)
    • 我不知道为什么, 我不喜欢他。Wǒ bù zhīdao wèishénme, wǒ jiù bù xǐhuan tā. I don't know why, I just don't like him.(就: just; exactly; simply)




Please read the sentences and tell the difference of 就 jiù in the contexts.

  1. 就这一本了, 看完请马上还。
  2. 办公室就在这里
  3. 要是你不去上班, 老板就会解雇你!
  4. 我这就去。
  5. 我吃了饭就出去了。
  6. 我们就等你了
  7. 是不明白
  8. 假如你的成绩再好一点儿,你就能申请北大了。

No comments:

Post a Comment